Wednesday, February 08, 2006

All quiet on the Western front.

No real news to report from Los Osos except the Tree man Saga, and at Ann's blog about (non existant) community values.
And Ron, my friend is still asking some important questions. I wish him luck, He will need it.

I'm still playing with this blog stuff, I got a few good replies last time, so I thought I'd try someting else.

What, was your first sewer experience?

You see, I am trying to help our poor community by giving everyone an outlet for their feelings, to lessen the load, to get a chuckle.

Ok, Here is mine.

It was 1973 and I was 16 & I was an usher at the local drive in theater.
My job was to wear a white coat and red hat, ride a bicycle around the lot during the movie, supposedly upholding the rules, watching the kids at the playground during intermission and do generally anything the manager told me to

It happened one night that the men's urinal got clogged up.
Back then a urinal was a large oval tub bolted to the wall with a steady stream of water trickling down from a horizontal pipe with lots of holes in it.

Willie, my manager who was like a second mother to me,
caught me on the way through the snack bar.

"Mike, I need you to unclog the men's urinal"

I must have looked like a deer caught in the headlights, because she took me by the hand, issued me a mumbly-plunger and a set of huge gloves.

I went to the bathroom to confront the beast,
It was a foot deep in a sickening yellow liquid

There had to be a better way!

As I passed by the projectionist booth I spied my salvation.

Back then, the projectors were powered by arc- lights
Herman, the projectionest would keep a bottle of compressed CO2, which we used for soft drinks, with a hose and a hand nozzle near by to blow away the occasional dust that would obscure the lens.

The thought came to me to instead of manually pushing the clog down, BLOW IT DOWN!

I snitched the bottle and rig.

Well it worked, after giving it a good long shot of compressed CO2 though the drain with a towel wrapped tight around the nozzle it drained right out!

I cleaned up and took my station at the popcorn popper to get bags of popcorn ready for intermission.

"Hey Buddy" "we need paper towels" was my first order.
along with the next and the next and the next.

Willie came up to me .
"Mike, what did you do?"
After explainig myself,
And Willie could catch her breath.
She told me about "vents"
Which aparently exited through the roof of the snack bar!

Well!

This is a true story

I heard it looked kind of like a volcano

No one was hurt as far as I know
It was a far safer time

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

OMG, Mike! What a great story!

9:21 AM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Mike Green said...

Thanks! glad you liked it.

6:22 PM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Mike Green said...

Well I'm getting quit a readership here! I liked your story sewermonk! Thanks. Mike Green

10:19 PM, March 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home